Source: Spelman (auctioneers) included this photograph in their particulars of sale of the lease of the Plantation house and garden. The sale was held after Henry Trevor’s death in May 1897. Re-photographed in 1998 by Sarah Cocke from the original in the NRO.
This view was taken looking south from the rustic bridge (cf PGPT402). It shows clearly the overall ‘bowl’ shape of the garden, which was built in an old chalk quarry. Even before chalk was quarried flints were mined there.
Various structures can be seen: prominent in the centre is the ‘Gothic’ fountain (cf PGPT298): ‘Italian’ balustrades and terraces (cf PGPT320) can be seen at the far end: the 1871 Palm House and Winter Garden (cf PGPT003) is visible at the right.
H.T’s gardening style is revealed by the emphasis on carpet bedding in the flower beds, with ‘exotics’ as ‘dot’ plants along the edge of the lawn and shrubs and trees planted on the slopes.