Date: 1st quarter 20c
Source: 1980s postcard from unknown original. (cf PGPT 032)
The gardener’s cottage in The Plantation is described in the 1897 auction particulars as comprising ‘Entrance,Two Sitting Rooms,Kitchen, Pantry, W.C. and Three Bedrooms’.
In the 1860 census one George Woodhouse and his family were living in the cottage, and he was still Henry Trevor’s head gardener in 1897 when Henry died. He received a legacy (£50, the equivalent of a year’s wages) in Henry Trevor’s will, and took part in his funeral procession, so he had obviously earned the respect of his employer and the family.
The tall chimneys of the cottage can be seen in PGPT002 and 003.
The cottage was demolished in the 1960s. See PGPT371 for its appearance in the 1990s.