PGPT061

Posted by on Feb 14, 2015 in Structures | No Comments

PGPT061
Date: 1919/20
Source: photograph in PGPT archive

Another group photograph (cf PGPT060) recording an occasion when George Green welcomed a group of visitors into the garden. Perhaps these were ministers attending a Baptist conference. George Green is wearing the mayoral chain of office.

The group is posing in front of the ‘Window’ built by Henry Trevor as a folly in the garden (cf PGPT096). It was found largely broken in 1980 and restored in the 1990s. There are examples in other Victorian gardens of ecclesiastical fragments, taken from churches during 19c ‘restorations’, being used as rose arches or decoration.

An angel sculpture on the right hand support (PGPT399) may well have been produced in a Victorian funeral mason’s workshop.