Source Photograph by volunteer
This photograph was taken from a high viewpoint at the South end of the garden, looking across the thatched roof of the summerhouse past the balustrade on to the main lawn.
In 1980 the ruins of a thatched summerhouse were found on the lawn beside the Beeches. No such structure was shown in that position on the 1883 O.S. map. However, the map did show a structure with measurements corresponding to the remaining sections at the top of the terrace at the South end and in 19xx the Trust raised funds to recreate a summerhouse in that position, using the evidence of a photograph ( ) and remaining fragments. A small piece of the roof showed that it had been made of heather, and so the reconstruction was roofed with heather. Unfortunately this did not prove successful under the canopy of the trees, and in 2008 the structure was re-roofed with Norfolk reed.