PGPT111 and PGPT358
Date: July 2007
Source: photograph by volunteer
Set in the Italian terrace wall are 3 terracotta plaques with shields of arms, 2 small and identical, with a larger one below. Research in the early 1980s (see Ex Fonte no.4 p9) into the heraldry showed that the upper 2 plaques have arms which can be identified as belonging to particular families – Amherst, Daniel, Tyssen and Mitford. This plaque, therefore, may have been commissioned by William Amhurst Tyssen-Amhurst (or Amherst), who married Margaret Mitford in 1856, and became M.P for Norfolk in the 1880s.
He lived at Foulden Hall, Didlington, which he enlarged in 1854 and 1856. It is possible that Gunton Bros made this plaque for those building works as they made other heraldic plaques for the Bedingfeld family at nearby Oxburgh Hall in the 1840s. Plaques from the latter are also found in the garden (see PGPT289). Nothing is known of the lower design.