Source: photograph by volunteer
The plaque showing the date of construction of the fountain had disappeared by 1980 when restoration began. There were, however, several photographs which showed the original (PGPT137 etc) and so it was possible to have a reproduction made with the date 1857 copied in the original style, with the inscription added ‘Stone 1992 replaced fountain restored’. The original plaque was probably terracotta and made by Guntons, like the 1856 chimney brick (PGPT366).
This reproduction was paid for by a generous donation by Bridget Elliott, given in memory of her aunts Ida and Sybil Bowers. They were the daughters of Richard Bowers (PGPT474).