PGPT227

Posted by on Feb 15, 2015 in Structures | No Comments

PGPT227
Date: October 2008
Source: photograph by volunteer

There is a date plaque set into this wall with the date 1871, so we know that Henry Trevor built it 15 years after he completed his house. It was part of his scheme for adding a Palm house to his garden (cf PGPT125). The house is plain and classical in style, the fountain, built in 1857, is decidedly Gothic, and Henry Trevor’s taste for the medieval style reappears strongly again in this wall. We know that he walked to his business daily, and on the way would have passed several medieval churches and the city walls, so he had plenty of opportunity to collect ideas for the very idiosyncratic combination of designs that appear along its length – a gargoyle, a cross, a dog’s head, a ‘man’, a coat of arms. Various Gunton bricks – thistle, rose, fleur-de-lys – add to the confusion or interest depending on your taste! For some details see PGPT307f.