PGPT304 and PGPT312
Source: photograph by volunteer
In 1998 the Norwich Society was celebrating its 75th anniversary and invited suggestions for projects to commemorate the occasion. Fortunately for the PGPT, the restoration of a bridge had been one of the Society’s original projects, and so it was agreed that the Society would bear half the expense of restoring our bridge.
Allan Sewell, a local architect who had been involved in the Trust from its early days, designed the bridge after close study of the 1893 map, the site and the few existing photographs (cfPGPT373/4). He was pleased to find, once building was under way, that the builders uncovered the original bases of the bridge just where he had placed them.
PGPT312 shows the view from the bridge in 1998 – compare with the 1897 view PGPT001.