PGPT309, 310, 313 and 314

Posted by on Feb 15, 2015 in Structures | No Comments

   

PGPT309, 310, 313 and 314
Date: 1990s
Source: photographs by Sarah Cocke

These are all details of the ‘medieval’ wall which Henry Trevor built in 1871 as a retaining wall when he levelled the slope in front of the house so that he could site his large Palm house there. He made this wall highly decorative by extensive use of Gunton Bros fancy bricks e.g. the rose, thistle and shamrock chimney bricks (see PGPT311,315). There is no evidence about the source of the ‘gargoyle’ – it also may be from a Gunton mould.