PGPT325

Posted by on Feb 15, 2015 in Structures | No Comments

PGPT325
Date: 1980s
Source: photograph by volunteer

The plaque in this photograph looks identical to the one in the Plantation garden as in PGPT324 – and indeed it is from the same mould. But this plaque is to be found at Oxburgh Hall, where Sir Henry Bedingfeld,6th Baronet, and his wife Margaret, embarked in 1830 upon the restoration of the medieval hall. Sir Henry employed as architect John Buckler, an enthusiastic medievalist, and together they carried out an extensive programme of restoring the building and gardens. Designs by Pugin and Crace were used, as well as heraldry and initials to give a sense of period. This decorative plaque (HMB for Henry and Margaret Bedingfeld) is typical of their fashionable ‘medieval’ style.