Source: photograph by volunteer
The family tomb in Earlham cemetery was built in 1862 when Joseph Gray (cf PGPT158) died. His inscription, on the right, tells us that he ‘lived in the faith of Jesus Christ for upwards of fifty years’, a reminder that he was a minister at the Pottergate St Baptist chapel, like his son-in-law Henry Trevor after him. Other family members buried here include Henry Trevor himself, Joseph’s grandson John Joseph Gray Page, another grandson and great-granddaughter.
By 1997 the tomb was in a state of dereliction and Bruce Adam, chairman of the Trust, raised the money from Henry Trevor’s descendants and others to restore it to commemorate the centenary of Henry Trevor’s death. Lead letters were replaced, some scattered railings retrieved from under bushes, others recast and the stone cleaned. Since this photograph was taken, a plaque reminds visitors that Henry Trevor created the Plantation garden.