PGPT356 and PGPT357
Source: photograph by volunteer
These are two of the six pedestals which punctuate the wall surrounding the fountain. They must date to 1857, when it was built (cf PGPT186). It is interesting to note that each of them is different, though each uses a window frame which matches a pattern in Gunton Bros 1903 catalogue (PGPT300). The central motif for each can also be matched – to chimneys in the 1907 catalogue, no. 17 (on left), which cost £2 17s 6d for a whole chimney, and no.16 (on right), which cost £3. The ‘background’ has been filled in with pebble flints.
The overall design of these pedestals is very similar to the pedestals in front of the houses in Chester Place (cf PGPT008), which Henry Trevor built in 1867, employing Edward Boardman (cf PGPT375) as architect. We know that Henry Trevor employed him also for the Palm House in 1871: did Boardman therefore create the design for the fountain pedestals at this early stage of his career, or did Henry Trevor ask him to copy for Chester Place a design invented by somebody else?