Posted by on Dec 11, 2014 in Maps & Plans | No Comments

Source: Sale Particulars of the sale of Heigham Grove House in 1924

The northern part of the large gardens, described in the particulars as ‘Plantations with winding walks’, is the only area which still exists as open space; all the rest has been built over by blocks of flats. The tower (see PGPT362) is marked on the east wall, about half way, and is described in the particulars as ‘Ivy mantled clock tower with striking clock, stained glass panels and staircase to top’.

This plan shows a very similar arrangement to the 1883 O.S. map. In 1854 Chas Winter, boot and shoe manufacturer, was the owner. Horticultural shows were held in his grounds. The estate was sold in 1924 for £2725. In 1925 the City Council bought it for £3200 and converted it into the City Maternity Home.