Source Auction particulars, as in PGPT001
This shows the Plantation house which Henry Trevor completed in 1856 (date on Chimney) He was granted a 75 year lease of the land (a former quarry) from 1855, at a ground rent of £66 p.a.
A condition of the lease was that he was to build a house, by the spring of 1857, spending not less than £2000 – a very considerable sum at a time when a terrace house might cost £100. The style is firmly classical, with columned portico, pilasters at the corners. and pediment over the central bay. The quality of the building work is high, with fine pointing between the ‘white’ bricks (now grey). The windows of the upper storey have 12 panes, while on the ground floor the sash windows are glazed with plate glass.
The photograph shows the garden laid out in the popular mid 19c style with beds and edges closely planted to form a ‘carpet’ of colour for the summer.