PGPT309, 310, 313 and 314
Source: photographs by Sarah Cocke
These are all details of the ‘medieval’ wall which Henry Trevor built in 1871 as a retaining wall when he levelled the slope in front of the house so that he could site his large Palm house there. He made this wall highly decorative by extensive use of Gunton Bros fancy bricks e.g. the rose, thistle and shamrock chimney bricks (see PGPT311,315). There is no evidence about the source of the ‘gargoyle’ – it also may be from a Gunton mould.